Four Reasons Why You Should Eat Watermelon
When I was a child, I took one look at watermelon and decided I did not like it. It was not until in my late thirties that I decided to give this wonderful fruit a chance. Ever since that day I tasted it, I have been totally enjoying the fruit. At present, it is in abundance and one can buy it at a reasonable price.
- Watermelon is a thirst quencher; This fruit, as its name suggests, consists mostly of water, it helps prevent you from becoming dehydrated. With every bite, you can enjoy the sweet, its pleasant taste. If you are on the go and do not have time to have a drink of water, just grab a piece of cool watermelon and you are good to go!
- Watermelon is low in calories; It fills you up without you having to worry about how much weight you are going to put on. Studies indicate that watermelon is low in carbohydrates and as a result does not have a significant effect on blood sugar.
- Watermelon is a good source of vitamin C; Vitamin C is a nutrient that helps protect the body’s cells from injury. Vitamin C helps iron to absorb more efficiently by the body. When taken in sufficient amounts on a daily basis it helps improves the body’s immune system making it better able to fight against diseases such as cancer. A good source of vitamin c is needed to help the body recover from injuries including burns, surgical wounds, and lacerations.
- Watermelon helps with the smooth passage of stool; This due to its high water content. You can eat the seeds and skin for added fiber, which will also help with preventing constipation.
Tips for including watermelon in your diet;
- Eat it on an empty stomach. Like any other fruit, watermelon is best eaten on an empty stomach in order to help with cleansing the body and provided the body with energy. I usually eat it in the mornings half to an hour before I eat breakfast.
- It is easy to prepare, just slice and place in a small container with cover to prevent the water from draining out.And, when you purchase the slices be sure to ask for a separate bag for the tray as it tends to leak out all its juices on to other contents of the shopping bag.
- In order to enhance the thirst-quenching properties of this melon, keep in a cool environment. Personally, I love this fruit when it’s chilled, I find it is more easy for me to enjoy.
4. This fruit spoils very easily, especially in humid climate. I am one for not wasting anything. When I have more than I can eat for a couple of days I slice and wrap individually in clear plastic then store in the freezer. When I am ready to eat, I allow to thaw just a little before eating; leaving to thaw completely will result in the fruit becoming limp and all the juices draining out. Personally, I cannot eat the melon when it becomes limp.
The following sites provide more information on this delicious fruit: